Wednesday, January 16, 2019

James Hawkins and William Ross

I can not believe that I did not make a blog post about my biggest find of 2018!  This find was from Elaine!  She found on Binns a tax record in which James Hawkins is paying a tax for Wm. Ross in 1798.  This is a personal property tax.  

Jerilynn McGregor shared information with me after my visit to hear her speak at the Stafford County Historical/Genealogical Society's meeting the weekend that I went to Richmond.  It seems that from the land tax records, Wm Ross may have died around 1799-1800.

Ross paid taxes on 202 acres of Parke from 1797 through 1800.  From 1801 through 1803, it was listed under "William Ross estate."  Since it sometimes took a year or two for the Commissioner of the Revenue to find out that a tax payer had died, it's probably safe to say that William departed this life sometime between 1799 and 1800.  In 1804, Mary Ross commenced paying the taxes "for Wm. Ross Estate." 

And from these records, it is possible that Mary was William Ross's widow.

No comments: