I received a comment on my fairly new post about John Sevier's location on the Great Wagon road near New Market from resolute. She referred to the Tenth Legion region and while I waited for her to respond to my question via my blog, I decided I wanted an answer now. So I asked AI and it was so interesting that I decided to post the answer here:
Daniel James's branch is not a military unit, but rather a historical stream or water tributary (a branch of Smith's Creek) located in the Tenth Legion area of Rockingham County, Virginia. 18th-century colonial land deeds and Quaker migration records place this stream just south of present-day New Market. and
Impressed by their absolute political loyalty, Thomas Jefferson nicknamed the region the "Tenth Legion of Democracy". He compared the area's steadfast voters to Julius Caesar’s famous Legio X Equestris (the Tenth Legion), which was Caesar's most trusted, elite, and loyal military unit. Over time, the local post office and the community that grew along the Valley Pike simply adopted "Tenth Legion" as its official name.
Joanna Goad Sevier's sister Elizabeth and her husband lived on Daniel James Branch according to Resolute who is a descendant of this couple. And Valentine Sevier and Elizabeth's husband, Johannes Cock, are named in court cases together according to Resolute.
There is a book on Ancestry available to read called:
Tenth legion tithables (Rockingham Division) Rockingham County, Virginia
No comments:
Post a Comment