Tuesday, May 1, 2012

George McKinsey's second wife



Joseph Moore sent me a scan from a book compiled by Majorie Dickey Parsons called:  Lines and Lifestyles Dickey, Moore, Parsons and some Related Families.  My understanding of the people who are named on this page is so new and so exciting that I found myself wanting to record how it happened.  According to the notation on the front cover, Ms. Parsons is no longer alive.  Below is page 222 of Ms. Parsons' book.

Only a few years ago, I would have had no clue that Daughter Mary m. George McKinzie "in Ohio" who is listed in the above transcription of the will of John Moore was the second wife of my 5-gr-grandfather.  George was not the simple farmer that I would have believed him to be.  After the death of his first wife, Sarah Moore, George moved his entire family to Warren County, Ohio with the mass exodus of the Quaker families out of the south and into the non-slave northern states of Ohio and Indiana.  Then after getting his family settled in Ohio, he traveled back down to Newberry County, SC to finish some business and then down to Wrightsboro, Ga to marry a cousin to his first wife:  Mary Moore Lacy.  Next he proceeded to move all of her family up to Ohio.  It must have been a huge undertaking!




No comments: