Wednesday, January 30, 2019

Zachariah Worley

Yesterday Harry sent me the following about Zachariah Worley:

I was messing around in Ancestry and ran across a Revolutionary War pension file on a 1st Cousin, 7x removed. I already had several pages linked in my off-line family tree but I was shocked at the size of the whole original file.  Anyway the file was for Zachariah Worley, son of William Worley, grandson of my John Worley. The interesting things about Zachariah:
1) He was born in Powhatan Co., VA
2) He enlisted in 1779 and served at Petersburg.
3) He enlisted again in 1780 and was in the Battle of Hanging Rock (near present-day Lancaster Co., SC).
4) After his second enlistment was finished he went to his fathers home in Bedford Co., VA
5) He enlisted a third time and was in the Battle of Guilford Courthouse.

Because I am only now meeting these people it took me a while to get my head around everything.  I was off and running thinking about Revolutionary War Pensions marriage records in Hinshaw and Silas P. Wooten and etc etc etc.  So this morning I am going to slow down and think about what Harry's information tells me.

First of all John Worley and his family and then the next generation which would be (insert Harry's ancestor) and William Worley lived in Powhatan County from the early 1700s (at least) until after 1779 when Zachariah enlisted.



Why do I think that they were still living there as the Revolution broke out?  Because Zachariah enlists in Petersburg and his first round of service is right there in Petersburg.  However, William Worley moves his family to Bedford County very soon after as Zachariah goes home to his father's home in Bedford County after his second enlistment which take him to the Battle of Hanging Rock In SC.  Did Harry's ancestor move, too?  Why did William move?

Then Zachariah enlists one more time and this time he almost certainly enlists in Halifax, Virginia as the troops gather to fight the British who are moving towards Virginia.  And this time Zachariah takes a part in the Battle at Guilford Courthouse.

No comments: