Sunday, June 17, 2012

Hawkins in Owen County, Kentucky

It has been porch weather in Huntington, so I have carried files and piles out to my porch any time I get a free minute when the temperature is nice.  Several years ago, I spent some time with a good buddy in Frankfort, Kentucky.  During this time I copied some information and filed it in a manila file that is labelled:  Owen County Kentucky Hawkins including Harbin Hawkins Ford.  At first glance, I honestly didn't remember exactly why I copied this information.  However, as I have studied some of my accumulated information, I have found that much of what I call the Hawkins/Bourne family settled in Owen County in the late 1700's or early 1800's.  Perhaps this was my reason.  It seemed that a great many of the Orange/Culpeper families moved to the area that is shown in the below map in this time period.  For those of you who do not do a lot of Kentucky research,  Lexington is in Fayette County, Frankfort (the Capital) is in Franklin County, and Louisville is in Jefferson County.  The northern boundary of the part of the state that you see is the Ohio River.  Ohio and Illinois are the states to the north.



Our Hawkins DNA group #1 (which are matches for my dad's DNA results) has at least 6 participants who believe that they descend this Hawkins/Bourne line.  My description of the Hawkins/Bourne line is:  three Hawkins brothers who were sons of Benjamin and Sarah Willis Hawkins.  These men were born mid 1700s and married three Bourne sisters either just before, during or after the Revolution.  All three of these men and many of their descendants moved to Kentucky from Orange/Culpeper County, Virginia after the Revolutionary War.  Another brother, Moses died in the battle of Germantown during the Revolution.  Moses' wife remarried and she and new husband and Hawkins children also moved to Kentucky.


The very first pages inside the manilla folder at the top of the pile have title:  Owen County, KY Family Bible Records Volume I compiled by Doris Shell Gill.  The stamp tells me that I copied them at the Kentucky Genealogical Society library.  As I turned the page to read,  I was absolutely amazed to see that the first Bible records that I copied were between a couple:  James Howard and George Ann Hawkins Glass.  Below are the pages that I copied.  To read them better click on the image.







Larry Glass sent me a URL that he found that has much of the information that is contained in the above pages:



The Next pages are in the same volume and are transcriptions of a Bible record for Harben and Elizabeth Clift Hawkins.  These pages include family information for John B. and Ann Ford Hawkins. John B. Hawkins (many of us guess that the B. stood for Bourne) was the son of Benjamin and Ann/Nancy Bourne Hawkins.  John had at least one wife in Orange/Culpeper County.  It is not clear if he had children with his first and/or second wife.  However the story is that he married a very young Ann Ford in 1812 and moved to Kentucky.




I seemed to have left out a very important part of why I have renewed interest in the Glass information contained in these pages.  Our newest participants whose DNA results have been a match for Hawkins DNA group #1 carry surnames Glass and Cullen.  These men were very surprised with the results of their DNA testing!  Never did any of them have any reason to believe that there might be a birth incident in their ancestry that would connect them with any male who did not carry last name Glass nor Cullen.  If you are interested in more information about this situation, go to 


for more information about the connection.  This links you to Phil Hawkins' Nov 2011 Newsletter.  These Bible pages only prove that there was a Hawkins family in close proximity to a Glass family in the mid 1800's in Owen County, Ky.  This may be a wild goose chase, but I believe that I would be remiss to not run the possibility that this is a clue by anyone who has an interest in this puzzle.  There are many reason why a male child may carry a surname that does not match that of his biological father.  Among these possibilities are: 1) a female who brings an illegitimate child or the child of a previous  husband into a marriage.  The child is then raised in the family with his mother's new husband's name. 2) a child is born to a couple and the husband never knows that the son is not his own, 3) a woman has a child and never marries the father of the child and then raises him with HER maiden name rather than the name of the biological father.  You can probably think of more possibilities.  But many are just another version of these three.    





No comments: