Monday, August 4, 2014

Webbs in Bourbon County

Instead of putting the following information at the end of this post, I am going to summarize the fact that all of this looking at the Webbs in Bourbon County ended up with my deciding that the marriage event that was recorded for a marriage between William Webb and Nancy smith is NOT my William and Nancy Webb.  I have given up this as a possibility for my ancestors.  After looking all day at court cases in which William E. Webb sued to be paid for medicine and for his services as a physician, I found that he died somewhere between 1798 and 1801.  The information is below.  MY William Webb was alive and well in 1830 in the census of Illinois.  However, I am going to hold onto a few paragraphs that I had written about Webb-Cree-Sandusky families who DO seem to have moved from Bourbon to the area around Warren/Barren Counties in KY.

Elaine and I spent one of the breaks during the KY Historical Society's Annual event featuring Mark Lowe up stairs at the Library.  I pulled out the vertical files that have family files looking at Webb families in Kentucky.  In folder 3, I found a report that is labelled Webb-Creek-Sandusky Families.  It says on the first page that the material contains Bourbon County Marriages, Barren County marriages, Warren County marriage.....Barren County Deed books, Barren County Court orders, Warren County Deed Books.  What grabbed my attention is the fact that this family line seems to have been in Bourbon County before their move to the Warren/Barren area of Kentucky!   I copied the entire report.

On these pages is a marriage in 1790 between Andrew Sandusky and Catherine Creek in Bourbon County.

I took the opportunity to ask Mark after the last session if he had thoughts on what I was seeing....that is his opinion on the possibility that my Webb family had been in Bourbon and then moved on to Warren/Barren and then on to Illinois and he reassured me that it was entirely possible.  Moreover he suggested the possibility that the Nancy Smith that I have been looking at as wife to William Webb could very well be a part of his own Smith line that moved from Bourbon to Warren/Barren area in the early 1800's.  His Smith line is a German line from Fluvanna County.  I am very excited to have a few more puzzle pieces to add to my Webb puzzle.

Mark also said that he will put his map that he called Kentucky Timeline on the KGS website.....so I want to view it after he does this as it shows routes that might have been used by the Webb family to reach Bourbon and then to move on to Warren/Barren area that answers my question about why they might have chosen these two areas.  I will add the link here when I find the map on the website.Elaine and I are spending this Monday morning in the Kentucky archives.  I have promised myself to follow Mark Lowe's advice and to take time today to "mull and ponder".  So I am going to write my blog posts as I go.  Elaine met me at the door with a list of court cases to look at in Bourbon County.....she is an excellent research buddy!  I got lost going the wrong way on the connector and was about a half hour late getting to the archives.

OK.  This morning I am going to concentrate on the marriage that took place in Bourbon County:

Marriage Records for Bourbon County, Kentucky 1786-1800

  Name: Nancy Smith 
  Spouse: William Webb 
  Marriage Date: 11 Sep 1794
information from:  Ancestry 

Marriage Records for Bourbon County, Kentucky 1786-1800


Kentucky was a state at this date having reached statehood in 1792.  In 1791 the area that I am looking at would have been Bourbon County, Virginia.  By 1794 Bourbon County would have been much smaller and encompass the modern counties of Bourbon and Nicholas.

Map from Newberry Library Atlas of Historical Boundaries http://publications.newberry.org/ahcbp/

I had thought that I would look at the tax lists for Bourbon County to see what males were in the area in the time frame.  However, I found the lists to be overwhelming and the court cases to be very interesting.  So I will look to see if I can locate the tax lists in a book or on-line and concentrate on the court cases.

In the first four court cases that I read I established the fact that Ann Webb is administrator for William E. Webb (I will put a couple of examples of middle initial below......but best guess is William E. Webb) along with John Metcalf.  This infers that Ann may be William's widow.  It also indicates that William died without a will.  The date on the suit is 1804 indicating that William probably died in early 1800's and before 1804.  As I read through the first four court records, I realized that William was a physician as at least one of the court cases indicated that a man owed him for medicine and attendance as a physician.

It jumps into my mind that perhaps the reason that the William Webb who was a small landowner was not because he was young but rather because he did not farm in great quantity since he was a physician.

After reading many court cases, I am quite convinced that William E. Webb actually lived and died in Bourbon County while William C. Webb who was a very large landowner in the county never lived in Bourbon.  His agent was John Allen.

William E. Webb died between 1798 when a suit begins in which he is involved (#3235) and Aug 1801 at which time his widow Nancy/Anne ( she is named both ways in same suit) and John Metcalf appear in the suit as administrators for William E. Webb.  There is the possibility that this is the William Webb and Nancy Smith who are married in 1794.  If that is the case this marriage has no bearing in my Webb family history.

I am home tonight reviewing the Webb information that I have on hand.  It turns out that this William C. Webb that I have looked at all day is also a part of the Crittenden Webbs.  Here is what I wrote in another blog post......oh, wait, I'll contact Chuck and double check.  This says Dr. William C NOT E.

I am looking at the Family Tree Maker CD Land Records: Kentucky 
1774-1924 tonight.

In Bourbon County I find

Richard C. Webb with a large amount of land on Flat Creek  1791
Augustine Webb with a large amount of land on Big Sandy R.  1787
William C. Webb with a large amount of land on Stoners Creek 1797
William Webb with a small amount of land on Stoners Fork  1797

Does anyone know if there is a relationship between these men? 
 
Marsha in WV

The answer:


Yes, they're all related to each other
as father and son/father and son/father
and son/
It goes Wm.W-Wm.C-Augustine-John Vivion-Dr. Wm. C.-Walter Leslie-me 
  Sincerely, Charles Webb Becken

It turned out that further correspondence with this man showed this Webb family was from Orange County, Virginia 

No comments: