Sunday, June 11, 2017

Trip to the lower James River

I finally finished my Dames papers this past week.  All of that research on the Farrar family makes me yearn for a trip to the lower James River.  So much to see!  So I am going to begin to put a few things on my list for a future trip.

The idea was inspired by my having bought a new book this week that I am putting on my shelf as I have a very busy week.  Books that go on my shelf often then get overlooked.  This book is called the Invasion of Virginia 1781 by Michael Cecere.  I am thinking that it might be one of the books I might read at the time that I go since I will surely want to look at Revolutionary War sites on this trip!



From Wikipedia:

The Siege of Yorktown, also known as the Battle of Yorktown, the Surrender at YorktownGerman Battle or the Siege of Little York,[a][b] ending on October 19, 1781, at Yorktown, Virginia, was a decisive victory by a combined force of American Continental Army troops led by General George Washington and French Army troops led by the Comte de Rochambeau over a British Army commanded by British peer and Lieutenant General Charles Cornwallis. The culmination of the Yorktown campaign, the siege proved to be the last major land battle of the American Revolutionary War in the North American theater, as the surrender by Cornwallis, and the capture of both him and his army, prompted the British government to negotiate an end to the conflict. The battle boosted faltering American morale and revived French enthusiasm for the war, as well as undermining popular support for the conflict in Great Britain.[8]

No comments: