Saturday, July 22, 2017

Scotch-Irish and Clendenin





I found this map on-line one day and it has sat on my desk top.  I wanted to file it so that I could find it again.  But couldn't decide where that would be....so here it is on my blog.


With the research that I have done on the Clendenin family, I find that

One of the versions of the Clendenin massacre begins with this information: Archibald Clendenin lived in this valley (Calf Pasture) before moving to the lower Cowpasture where he died in 1749.  Archibald Jr was the most conspicuous victim in the Greenbrier massacre of 1763.  Charles, another son, gave his name to the capital of WV.  Morton “Rockbridge Co. VA. p. 89”  (don’t know if this is true or not.  Needs some research “someday”.  
and
 Archibald, Jr. a son by the first wife, moved to Greenbrier and was murdered by Indians in 1763.  His wife was a Ewing.  Five of his six children were also killed, but the wife escaped to the Cowpasture.  George and Charles seem to have been other sons.  The latter gave his name to the capital of West Virginia.


No comments: