Wednesday, January 24, 2018

McKinsey in Ohio and Indiana

This post is not only about my McKinsey family, but also the wonderful serendipity that this hobby brings!  Roberta McReynolds and I have had a long history of sharing information.  She researches a couple who married in Sullivan County, Indiana in 1820:  Eleazor Elmore and Rachel Elliott Elmore.  These are ancestors of her husband.

I research a couple who married in Warren County, Ohio in 1816:  Nehemiah McKinsey and Catherine Elliott.

This story is about the fact that neither of us would have discovered much of what we know about these families without the other person.

This week Roberta sent me copies of photos that had been sent to her by a relative of her husbands.  Not only is it a much prized photo of Nehemiah and his wife (called Kate on the photo), but it is further proof of the fact that Rachel and Catherine are sisters:





And the back of the photo:




Some of the many pieces of information that Roberta and I have shared over the year about this family line:

 Here is the original e-mail message that Roberta sent:

Hi Marsha,

I found your address on the Rootsweb Quaker site.

I am researching Rachel Elliott, b. Apr. 11, 1802.  She married Eleazar Elmore on May 29, 1820 in  Sullivan co. IN.  However, the marriage license records show that the license was taken out in Vigo Co. 

Their children that I know of were Abraham Elliott Elmore, Ruth, Mary Ann, Elizabeth Catherine, Ambrose Milton Elmore, Alfred, Johab and Eliza Jane.

Is she possibly a daughter of Abraham Elliott?   I thought since their first son was named Abraham Elliott Elmore that that was a good clue.  Have you ever heard of her?

Thanks so much for your time.

Roberta McReynolds

It turned out that I had found an abstract of the will for Abraham Elliott on a research trip to Indiana.  And I was sure of all of his children except for Rachel.  I descend from Abraham Elliot's daughter Catherine Elliott.  The question was:  Are Rachel and Catherine sisters?  Rachel is not mentioned in the abstract of the will.  

Later it turned out that I found 
Rachel was the only child not mentioned in the transcription of Abraham’s will.  The transcriber indicated that there was a hole in the document just after Abraham’s mention of his other three daughters.  She is not mentioned either later in the document when Abraham adds some more items that he wants his daughters to receive.  I can only guess that the reason for her not being mentioned is that her father had just given her wedding presents as she had just married the year before.  It is also possible that she had moved away while the other girls were living close.  





and from Roberta:

Rachel Elliott Elmore on the 1850 and 1860 census records puts her place of birth as Tennessee.  She was born in 1802. 

This piece of information led to my spending many hour on very fun research on Lost Creek MM in TN.  I even visited the Lost Creek MM a couple of years ago.  I wrote at least one blog post about this part of the Elliott family's migration from NC to Ohio and Indiana:

http://marshamoses.blogspot.com/2012/09/the-elliott-family-in-tn-lost-creek-mm.html



No comments: