Monday, May 27, 2019

Marriage of Matilda Pinkard and Thomas Ross Hawkins

I am chatting with a new buddy this morning.  Paul Stephens is a dna match to me on Ancestry.  I became very excited when I saw his tree because Paul descends from Thomas Ross Hawkins and Matilda Pinkard through their daughter (sister to my Edward Pinkard Hawkins), Martha Druscilla Hawkins who married James R. Poindexter.  I am sitting on the porch on Memorial day working on genealogy until the sun hits my toes!  And I am reviewing the information that Paul sent to me and adding to my data base and deciding what to send to Paul first.  And the following jumped out at me:

p. 55, 8-28-1823, Mitilda Pinchard(not a typo) m. Thomas R. Hawkins by James Garnett, Sr. (Crooked Run Baptist 1772-1986 located at 38 degrees 21.723' N, 78 degrees 6.441'W, Rapidan, VA, south of Culpeper at junction of Hwys 614 & 615).  You can see historical marker on-line if you google Crooked Run Baptist.

I have been up and down that highway many times and have not stopped to take a photo of the marker. 


Crooked Run Baptist Church was organized in 1772 and is named for the stream that flows nearby. James Garnett Sr., one of the early pastors, served the congregation from 1774 until close to his death in 1830. ..... The first meeting of the Orange Baptist Association occurred here in 1789. At first the members met in a meeting house, but by 1856 they had built a brick structure. This church was destroyed by a fire in 1910 and rebuilt the same year using the remains of the brick walls. Crooked Run is located 10 miles south of Culpeper on Rte. 15, near Rapidan.

 So the building that one would see now is not the same building in which T.R. and Matilda married.  There seems to be a history of the church available to read at one's local LDS FHL: 



No comments: