Monday, January 27, 2020

Arm treatment 2020

Almost every January I do an arm treatment for the lymphedema that I have in my right arm from breast cancer surgery 10 years ago.



This treatment makes typing very annoying....cooking and knitting impossible.....and golf and tennis out of the question.  The first years that I did this I felt very sorry for myself during the week or two that I was so handicapped.  But I have learned to do this treatment in January when I am missing no golf and sometimes a smaller treatment in August when it is hot and nasty in Huntington.  And I have realized that I can eat, drive, and talk on the phone....and I make plans to do just that all week.  Plus I go through piles and files to read information that I never seem to have time to read.  And often I run out of treatment time before I run out of things I wanted to accomplish during the week.

So this post is about serendipity caused by spending yesterday reading and thumbing through piles and files.

I am planning a trip to Boston around Sarah and Rudy's birthday time of the year in February.  As I often do, I plan on driving part of the way and taking the train the rest of the way and including genealogy research and a visit to my brother, Greg, and his wife Mary Jo on both sides of the visit in Boston.  During 2019 a dna match opened up an entire new branch of my family tree.  If you have interest in details:

http://marshamoses.blogspot.com/2019/08/cooley-coley-and-other-close-families.html

So as part of my week doing the treatment I have been reading about the Coley/Cooley family that Mike and Terry and I share.  But I have also been reading old New England Ancestors magazines that have piled up.  And here is some of the serendipity:

I was looking at a book on Ancestry by  Donald Lines Jacobus (1887-1970)



This is where our mutual ancestors are most likely to have been living.  In the very same day, I was reading in New England Ancestors Spring 2003 Vol 4 No 2 on page 31 from an article by Christopher Hartman called:  A short History of Genealogical Publishing.

"The next crucial period in the development of genealogical writing and publishing follows the end of WWI......There emerged a new generation of genealogists who employed a rigorously structured brand of genealogical scholarship and in addition to chronicling the histories of colonial American families, were also concerned with the integrity and endurance of their work.  Perhaps the greatest genealogist of the half-century between 1920 and 1970 who clearly embodied this idea was Donald Lines Jacobus (1887-1970).....Specializing in the genealogy of Colonial Connecticut"

Thus the book is said to have contained good research.

Then in another New England Ancestors, I see that there is a Cooley family reunion....and that the one that was in the year of the magazine was held in Athens, Ohio....only 85 miles from my home.

And then I lucked into information that is on the NEGHS website on both Fairfield Ct and Millford Ct where this Cooley family settled before move to Fairfield.  So I Renewed my subscription to NEGHS last night and am contemplating a day at their site in Boston during my trip.

I will edit and add to this post.  But scroll down for more information on the Coley/Cooley family

No comments: