Thursday, March 19, 2020

yDNA thoughts about surnames

I was chatting to day with a buddy who has last name Morrison.  He mentioned that he had a distant match with another man who is the Hensley "guru" on the internet and carries last name Grant.

My comment was that I didn't understand the idea of a distant match when it comes to yDNA.  I understand the concept when one is talking about autosomal matches.

His explanation was EXCELLENT and I think that I want to think about it some more.  So I am putting it on my blog.  To provide some privacy I am not giving entire names....just the part that makes the story of interest.

The man with the Grant surname and I have 4 mismatches at the 37-marker level of testing, which lies within the limits set by the International Society of Genetic Genealogists to qualify as a “match”. Just to confuse things, he has indicated that the original surname for his male line was “Patterson”. Our match might be coincidence, but it is also possible that when surnames were being adopted we have a common ancestor with two sons, “Maurice” and “Pat” so their descendants became “Maurice’s Sons (Morrisons)” and “Pat’s Sons (Pattersons)”.

Of course, I also immediately thought of the possibility that these are Scots names and that there were clan affiliations that sometime included other surnames.  But I am not going to do that research right now about the Morrison nor the Patterson affiliations.

When the time comes that I want to look at this, I want to reread my blog post of February 2017

http://marshamoses.blogspot.com/2017/02/county-donegal-and-morrison-family.html 

Well phooey....I just blew up that theory with a quick google of Patterson.  Patterson is thought to have been a lowland clan.

No comments: