Monday, May 25, 2020

Memorial Day 2020

I woke up this morning thinking about Memorial Day.  What is Memorial Day?  This is the answer given to my google search:

Memorial Day is observed on the last Monday of May. It was formerly known as Decoration Day and commemorates all men and women who have died in military service for the United States. Many people visit cemeteries and memorials on Memorial Day and it is traditionally seen as the start of the summer season.



All of these are good answers.  My peonies are in full bloom in my yard.  Jack and I often picked them and put them in vases for the cemetery.  Since Jack died, I rarely do that.  Early on in my widowhood, Katie put two beautiful hanging baskets on the Moses graves.  I liked that a lot and have done the same thing over the years.  And many years my grandkids have accompanied me for that.  This year the Goldy family is in flat top and Jason and his kids have moved out of my house, so it is quiet here.  I may do the decorating by myself.

The war of most interest to me in my life right now is the revolutionary War.  It is where much of my research is in this part of my life.  Much of my research includes the words "just before the Revolution" or just after the Revolution" to put in perspective when my family was doing certain things.

However, WWII became a topic for my reading in the last few years, so it is also of interest.  For books I have particularly liked, put WWII in the search box of my Book Collector Blog:

http://serendipityreading.blogspot.com

But as I drink my coffee this morning I am going to just add photos of my dad and my uncles and my children's grandfather and uncles and ancestors as they served in the various branches of military and in various wars through the history of the US.  This will be an ongoing project.  I will start with the easy ones that I have already scanned.

Below is my dad during WWII:  James Marshall Hawkins



And Dad and mom in same time period:


Then I got distracted with wanting to put some photos of me and my grandkids decorating graves over the years:

2019



2017....Kya must have been the only one who went with me:






Ok....going to take a break and go do some decorating this morning.

No comments: