Saturday, August 1, 2020

Catherine Elliott McKinsey

I wrote a post for Memorial Day more than two months ago that I liked so much, I had trouble writing a new post that would cause my Memorial Day post to move down to get hidden among my miscellaneous posts which have no order.  But I had a dna match get in touch with me last week.  The two of us share Catherine Elliott McKinsey....she is 4-gr-grandmother to both of us.  And I wrote an e-mail to her that had so much information in it that I wanted to preserve it by putting it on my blog.  This e-mail is a "road map" telling an overall view of my Elliott family.  One can then use the search box on this blog site to pull up more specific posts about the Elliott and McKinsey family.  Here is part of what I wrote to her:

 I know lots and lots and lots about this family and I am happy to share!  Let me start by sending you links to blog posts that I have written over the years….and then you can ask questions about what I need to clarify.  I am not the best to go back and edit my old posts, so I always appreciate having people ask for clarification if I haven’t made something clear or if I have done more research since the original post. 

Put Elliott in the search box….that will pull up posts that have the name Elliott in them.  And since I don’t know how much you know about this family line I will give you a quick road map,  My best tree is on Ancestry….you can get to it by clicking on the link on my blog home page.  If you are not a member of Ancestry, let me  know and I’ll send you an invitation.  I have been told that the link to my Ancestry tree on my blog site doesn’t work if the person clicking on it is not an Ancestry member.  And I do have an adequate tree on MyHeritage as well if you want to look there….everything I do is PUBLIC….I want to share with as many people as possible anything that I know!  I love these ancestors and I never get tired of telling their stories…and if at any time you need instant help with anything, my phone number is 340-638-3348….you might text if you are unable to get me so that I know who it is who is trying to get in touch.   

The earliest Elliott ancestor in my tree is 

The first I will start with is John Ellot/Elliot born about 1665 (dates are of my own deduction) and died in 1693, Kingsessing, Chester Co. Pa.  

It is this John Ellot’s grandson, Jacob who moves his family in the mid 1700s to what is now Randolph County, NC.  They live on Polecat Creek until the Revolutionary War when Jacob moves his family to Virginia for safety as he is a staunch Quaker and is trying to stay totally out of the Revolution.  This is one of my favorite genealogy stories….if it is not readily available on my blog, ask me to find it for you!  

After the Revolution they move back to NC.  I haven’t done the research to know exactly the sequence of events….but I guess that Jacob and Elizabeth die in Randolph County and the children begin to move from NC.  The Quaker families moved en mass in the first decade of the 1800s out of the south and into the non-slave states of Ohio and Indiana….However, Jacob’s children stop first in TN at the Lost Creek MM…..and then move again to Ohio and Indiana,

Catherine’s father, Abraham, actually moves his family to Indiana near what is now Richmond, Indiana.  But during the war of 1812, he moves his family back to Warren County, Ohio for safety from the Indians….and it is here that Catherine meets Nehemiah McKinsey and they are married.  After the war, Nehemiah who is not Quaker receives bounty land in Indiana for his service during the war….and Abraham accompanies his daughter and her husband and takes all of his other children except for Abner who has married Hannah Stubbs.  Abner moves to Prebble County, Ohio and lives with the Quaker families in that area who are the friends and neighbors of his wife. 

Abraham dies in Indiana…..I think in Vigo County….and Nehemiah and Catherine move from Vigo County to Clinton County by the census of 1850.  I descend from their oldest child:  Andrew Jackson McKinsey.  A.J. has a wife who dies young leaving him with three young children.  He leaves these children with his parents and goes to California as everyone is doing in this time period.  The children are totally raised by his parents and I know very little about them as I descend from A.J. and his second wife who he marries in California.  My Grandmother was 4th generation Californian when she met my grandfather and moved back to the East to marry him.  He moved her to Huntington WV where I live today…..and my father was born in 1924 here in Huntington.  

Ok…..that is the road map.  Ask any questions that you have.  Marsha Hawkins Moses

PS.  I have equal amounts of information about the McKinsey family and when you are ready to hear those stories, I’ll give you a road map for the McKinsey and Moore side of the family,  And Also if I mention documentation, I am happy to send that to you as well…I have most of it digitalized so it isn’t hard.  


No comments: