Sunday, August 8, 2021

CT, RI, NY and RI research

Somehow my genealogy always heats up in times when my real life is extraordinarly busy.   And that seems to be the case right now.  So I am going to make this blog about research that is of great interest to me....but my hours are too limited to give it the kind of time I wish for.  

Steve Roberts stopped by to return some books and our conversation included information about his Salmon ancestor who moved to the Barboursville area just before the Civil War.....perhaps an abolitionist who hoped to help in this area?  And the possibility that while Steve's ancestor seems much more "uptown" than my Salmons ancestors, there is the possibility that they were relate in the very early days of the Colonies.  Here is information that I wrote to Steve this morning,  


I looked on Ancestry and it seems that the public trees that go back earlier than my proven John Salmons in Cumberland County Virginia place the family in NY….long Island being one of the places that a William Salmon died in 1657.  My recent research on some Rhode Island ancestors show that during the War of King Philip many of these families moved to Long Island to escape the Indian atrocities happening in Rhode Island.  I would guess that that might have been happening in other parts of New England.  This would have been around 1676.  So this William Salmon would have been living on Long Island before the King Philip war.  Almost all of the public trees on Ancestry put my John Salmons’ ancestors as having lived in Suffolk County, NY…which is Long Island….But my newest research shows that there was a great deal of interaction between RI, CT and Long Island.  My Carpenter family seemed to have moved freely between the area around Providence RI and the part of Long Island that is directly across the Long Island Sound from Stamford, CT.   So I do not rule out the possibility that my own Salmons family could be related to your own.  But they certainly were not as up town as you describe your own ancestor.  They lived in the backwoods of Virginia and Kentucky for many generations.  Greg Hawkins lives in Westport.  You will see his town on the second map between Fairfield and Norwalk.  This is certainly a very interesting part of the world.  





Other things that are popping are the fact that FTDNA has their summer sale going on and I would like to buy kits for an male to male to male descendant of Phebe Hensley of Henry County, Virginia.

And the Elliott family is on a front burner because of the information from two or three researchers.  I wrote a blog post about this just a few days ago....and we are trying to use autosomal dna to prove the identity of John and Amanda Smith Elliott.  After  wrote the blog post I received message on the blog site from another researcher.  I want to spend more time on the.

No comments: