Friday, February 4, 2022

Eno River in Orange County, NC

My ancestors who moved to NC about 1754 are my Moore family and my Lackey family.  Both families settled in Orange County, NC.  Richard Moore's family were Quaker while I suspect that Alexander Lackey was likely Scots Irish. 

The brothers Alexander and William Lackey/Leaky/Lucky bought land in Orange Co NC in 1754, were on the 1755 tax list there. 


The Moore family stayed in Berks Co PA at Exeter MM until 1755.  The certificates from Exeter were received by Cane Creek MM in Orange Co NC on 6-4, 1757, for Richard Moore, his wife Sarah (Jenkins), their son John and their daughter Prudence.  A receipt of certificate for Mordecai and Abigail Moore is not in the extant records for Cane Creek, but they had to have had one, since Cane Creek disowned both for marrying out of unity.


So I have been looking at who was settling in Orange County.  There were definitely Quakers!  I believe that they likely settled near Eno preparatory meeting.

😃



So, I started this blog post and then was distracted.  But two days after Valentine's Day, I received the North Carolina Genealogical Society's Oct/Nov/Dec Journal  Vo47, #4. And guess what! the very first page that I read had a link to the online website, NC Historical Records Online. And lo and behold I immediately found Alexander Lackie's land in Orange County!  VERY EXCITING!


Here is the link: 

His neighbors are Joseph Duncan and Col Rutherford.  There is no waterway mentioned for Alexander Lackey's 256 acres. However, I looked for Col Rutherford. And there is only on Rutherford in this set of land records and he is Patrick Rutherford. He bought his land in 1759 as well.  He is on the North Fork of the Little River. 


Compare this map with where Eno Cemetery is located.  I could not find a land grant for Richard Moore. 

Here is a URL for a couple of maps showing land owners in the area. The maps may show land ownership after Alexander Lackey has died and after Richard Moore has moved to Wrightsboro.  But it is possible that I could figure out who bought the land that had belonged to both men.




No comments: