Wednesday, February 9, 2022

Maiden name for Sarah who married John Elliott and moved to Nottingham in 1722

The Elliott puzzle is a hard one.  Last night I went through the Burlington digitalized Quaker records one more time.  A librarian at Swarthmore had invited me to e-mail directly when I asked if there were more records at Swarthmore than had been digitalized on Ancestry.  So in order to ask a good question, I read through them one more time.  This time I looked at the births for possible maiden names for Sarah.  

I looked at every child born in the Burlington MM who had first name Sarah and was born in a time that might make sense.  I ruled out four of them quickly and am left with Sarah Lane.  Sarah is the daughter of Barnard Lane and Jennet Cowgirl according to the records of births that I have fleshed out with Ancestry tree information,  She was born 25th day of the 4th Month in 1699,  Her parents were both Quakers.  Her other must have died in childbirth or of complications from Sarah's birth as she died the same year that Sarah was born.

Barnard died while Sarah was underage, but had a will 

New Jersey, Calendar of Wills, 1670-1760



So what we have here is a young girl above the age of 14 who his totally orphaned in 1715.  She is perfect for a woman who might have married John Elliott and moved to the far frontier by 1722.  Her sisters were Elin Cutler, Marey Naylor

I found the will on an Ancestry tree:



No comments: