Sunday, February 10, 2013

Stafford County records returned to Virginia


I have been reading an old issue of Broadside the magazine of the library of Virginia Winter 2012.  There is an article by Sandra Treadway, Librarian of Virginia about the "Joyous Homecoming" of Eighteenth-century Stafford County records discovered in New Jersey that were returned to Virginia.  If I want to reread the  article,  it can be found at:


This is the kind of article that makes genealogy so much fun.  We all dream of finding a document or a clue somewhere that has never been seen before (at least by us) that will break down a brick wall of some sort in our research.  This takes it a step beyond that in making available clues that no one has seen in more than 150 years.  

As I read the article I felt the need to remind myself of where Stafford County is located and if there was anyone in my research who might have lived there in the time period that the new records would illuminate.  The above is what I found in my files.  Benjamin and Sarah Willis Hawkins'' son, Moses Hawkins, married Susannah Strother in 1770.  Moses Hawkins was killed at the battle of Germantown during the Revolutionary war, so there are many records of this couple because four very young orphans were left to be provided for.  

I am not going to spend any more time on this today, but I want to remember that the  Northern Neck Historical Society includes both Stafford and King George County in it's definition.  I will want to look at these records at some point to see if there is anything of interest for my research.  Other families who were living in Stafford in the time period?  Remember that  Fauquier County and Culpeper and Spotsylvania counties adjoin Stafford.



No comments: