Sunday, October 5, 2014

Arnold Family connections with Hawkins families in Virginia in 1700's and 1800's

I have spent some time this weekend looking at transcriptions of documents and some actual documents for several of the Hawkins family groups that I research in Virginia in the 1700's and 1800's.  While working on the John and Mary Long Hawkins family, I found the following map:

http://www.usgwarchives.org/special/tafq/tafq1.htm

I love this map because it shows to me how easy it would be for families to be neighbors while living in the three separate counties of Spotsylvania, Louisa, and Hanover.  These are three counties that I know much less about as I have gathered much more information about the Northern Neck, Orange, Culpeper, and Louisa Counites.

But in the back of my mind I was also thinking that I know a bit about this Arnold family!  Hmmmmm what do I know?

So here is an accounting of the occurrences of interaction between Hawkins and Arnold that I have gathered over the years:

For my own proven Hawkins family I have an event in 1813 in Orange County in which the Zion Baptist Church is formed:

About three and one half miles south of Orange in the home of Brother Hawkins, with James Arnold, Roger Mallory, Nicolas Bickers, Joseph Atkins (clerk), James Perry (deacon), Killie Hoard, Benjamin Hawkins, Hamlet Sanford, John Rogers (deacon), William Bell, William Mallory, William Hancock, William Embry, Coleman Marshall (deacon), Henry Perry, John Churchill Gordon (pastor), and Thomas Hawkins, seventeen in all.

Thomas Hawkins is my 3-hr-grandfather and Brother Hawkins is his uncle, Benjamin.  Who is this James Arnold?  I have very little information about him.

And


Isaac Arnold was a witness for John and Elizabeth Butler (?) Hawkins’s will:  Is this the same Arnold family?

1. John Hawkins. John died in Mar 1716 in Hanover Par., Richmond Co., VA.

John Hawkins married Elizabeth Butler, and they are the parents of Benjamin Hawkins who m. Sarah Willis per Newman Hall.  See Hall mss. dated 9 JAN 1991 for family group sheet.  Hall's note reads "Will of John Hoakins, Hanover parish, dated 16 JAN 1715/16 recorded 7 March 1715/16 Richmond Co., VA Wills and Inventories 1709-1717 p. 235, Abst. "now wife Elizabeth being at this time very sick and weak:  if she dies, freeman John Suttle, Jr., which now liveth with me to remain and live on the plantation whereon my family now livith: sons William, John, Benjamin and James; daughters Sarah and Elizabeth.   Richard and James Butler to care for six children but in case Henry Wood doth think fit to take son William, I desire he may have him, providing the said Henry will learn him the trade and calling of a plasterer; Richard Butler to take son John and daughters Sarah and Elizabeth; James Butler to take sons Benjamin and James until age 20.  Executor, friend Isaac Arnold, witnesses Isaac Arnold, Rebecca Butler and John Suttle. Inventory recorded 4 July 1716.  (Book and page not cited)

bef 10 Apr 1703 John married Elizabeth Butler, daughter of Peter Butler & Rebecca.

They had the following children:
          2            i.          William (-1776)
          3           ii.          John
          4          iii.          Benjamin (~1708-~1784)
          5          iv.          James
          6           v.          Sarah (-1826)
          7          vi.          Elizabeth

Is this the same Arnold family?  John and Elizabeth are proven ancestors of many of my father's DNA matches and possibly my own ancestors....just don't know yet.  OK...gotta quit for today....


No comments: