Sunday, June 2, 2019

Newspapers

I have an almost impossible project that has nagged at the back of my mind for years.  My question has been:  could there be the possibility of the mention of a family reunion of my Webb family in Bowling Green, Kentucky Newspaper?  I am not going to take the time right now to ask the question accurately...just jotting down some ideas for another day:

The Newspapers in Bowling Green in the right time frame were: Spirit of the Times (this one seemed to be Horse related) and Green River Gazette.  Both newspapers started in 1832.  My notes also say something about Publick Advertiser...but not sure what I was looking at when I saw that one.

The right time frame for this possibility was likely to have been between 1840 when Lucinda Hensley would have been about 10 until about 1870 while her mother was still well and living

And then the following came across one of my mail lists this morning.  It is a reminder of the Library of Congress site:

https://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/

While at the Ohio Genealogical Society's fall retreat, I took a class from Lauren Kuntzman.  At the end of one of her classes we talked about newspapers and places to find newspapers.  I wanted to add these ideas here.

Newspapers.com is a paid subscription.  If you have a world subscription on Ancestry this subscription is in included in the package.

Genealogy bank also has Newspapers and this, too is a paid site.

Chronicling America is a free site and is part of the Library of Congress.

A site called Ancestor Hunt has a section on newspapers and serves as a kind of index of where you can find various Newpapers.

For Ohio Newspapers, try Ohio Memory.

No comments: