Saturday, April 18, 2020

Who are these people? Alsace Lorraine?

I am still sorting and scanning and thinking.  But I have found a pile of photos and etc for which I can not begin to figure out who they are or why I have them.  So this is a post where I will put some "stuff" and ask for help.  The first is a letter from a woman who had access to a typewriter but did not date her letter to her cousins.  She signs the letter Anna H.  Hawkins?  Hornberger?  Later as I look further into the items, I realize that the original letter was in her own handwriting.  Someone had typed the French to English translation.

Oh, my goodness!  As I arrived lower in the pile that I am going through, I saw something amazing!  I am VERY excited!  I am beginning to think that this pile is from Alsace Lorraine!  Here is what I found:



So the above in conjunction to the letter below is pointing to what I am looking at as having come from Alsace Lorraine.  I believe it likely that it was among the "things" that were in Fred Hornberger's home that my grandmother, Clara Margaret Hornberger Sammons took home with her when Emma Hornberger died.  Emma never married and probably lived in the home place.  I will do some more looking at this!  I am very excited!







So a quick google of Belmont shows the following:



From Wikipedia:  Until 1871, Belfort was part of the département of Haut-Rhin, in Alsace. The Siege of Belfort (between 3 November 1870 and 18 February 1871) during the Franco Prussian war was successfully resisted by the French until the garrison was ordered to surrender 21 days after the armistice between France and Prussia ended the war. The region was not annexed by Prussia like the rest of Alsace was. It was exchanged for territories in the vicinity of Metz. It formed, as it still does, the Territoire de Belfort. The siege is commemorated by a huge statue, the Lion of Belfort, by Frédéric Bartholdi. Alsatians not wanting to live under German rule in annexed Alsace and who wanted a French life and home in Belfort made a significant contribution to Belfort and French industry (see Société Alsacienne de Constructions Mécaniques) after 1872.

 I am continuing to look through these items a few days later.  It seems that the letter and photo were actually in my grandmother's belongings.  And Mom remembers knowing about them.  It would seem that Clara and Forest sent some money to help this relative of Clara.  Here is the address on the back of the envelope from Anna Hornberger Rougegoutte?  And she seems to be living in Mt. Rohi






And then there is the next photo.  I do not recognize these people.  







Another photo that I do not recognize is a photo of an unknown Bride in Cincinnati.  Cinn would seem to reflect the Schweickart or Hornberger family.   Perhaps Fred Hornberger and his second wife,  Anna Margaret Hummel went to Cinn for honeymoon or marriage?  And had photo snapped there.  My best guess was that there marriage was c.1902-1904 and Fred's bride was around 40 when they married.  They never had children together that I know of.  Mom said that Fred's second wife had a withered hand....perhaps this pose is chosen to hide her handicap?  I also know there were Schweikarts in Cinn....could this bride be related to them?




The next photo is of two young girls on front porch steps.  According to an article by Catherine Bliss Enslow in the Herald Adertiser in 1969, the very high, uncomfortable collars on lace blouses was stylish in the late 1800s.




No comments: